RECIPE - Vegetarian Egg Bake (Jillian Michaels)

9:33 AM Posted by Jamie

I received an email this morning from Jillian Michaels and it's got me PUMPED!! I have been getting emails from her site every day for motivation - for a long time I just threw them out without reading - but now I'm reading them every day and it just helps get me ready for the day. How exciting!

The recipe she has in today's newsletter is for a Vegetarian Egg Bake. Here's a quote from her August 26, 2009 Newsletter Losing It With Jillian Michaels:

Are You Eating a Breakfast That Lasts?
As many of you know, breakfast is an absolute MUST in my book. Eating a hearty breakfast helps reduce levels of the hunger hormone ghrelin, keeping you satisfied throughout the morning and allowing your mind to focus on things other than your next food fix. While you probably don't have time to make a gourmet meal before work each morning, that's no excuse to skip breakfast. There's nothing easier than pouring low-fat milk into a bowl of whole-grain cereal; more involved recipes can be made ahead of time, or you can cut down on the morning workload they entail by preparing the core ingredients the night before. Try this vegetarian egg bake — it's packed with high-volume, low-calorie veggies and lots of healthy protein that will keep you satisfied and prevent energy lags later in the day. The salsa adds a nice kick! Make this the night before and give it a quick warm-up in the microwave in the morning.
Vegetarian Egg Bake
Ingredients

  • 10 egg whites, beaten
  • 1/4 cup reduced-fat (2%) milk
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • Cooking spray
  • 1 large onion, diced
  • 2 cups tomatoes, chopped
  • 1 cup fresh spinach
  • 1/2 cup salsa
Preparation
Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Combine egg whites, milk, and pepper in a large bowl and set aside.
Spray a large, heavy skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium heat. Sauté onion 5 minutes. Add diced tomatoes and spinach and sauté another 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
Transfer vegetables to egg mixture and combine thoroughly. Pour into a lightly oiled glass pie plate and bake 15 minutes or until eggs are set. Do not overcook.
Cut into wedges and serve at room temperature with salsa.
Makes 4 servings.
Get the nutritional information.
 Well you can count on me to make this and take a picture of it this weekend!  Right now, we are eating dinner every day with my mom - she's a great cook and has helped me tremendously in making better meal choices.  We are getting to the point where I think some good habits are created, and I might be able to cut the apron strings (a better metaphor might be taking off the training wheels - I might be wobbly on my own at first but I think I just might make it!) and work on cooking once a week for the rest of the week for me and my boys.

If you want to subscribe to this free newsletter, you can go HERE and enter your email address.  There are several choices for newsletters you can receive, the one for Jillian is towards the bottom.  If you don't want to subscribe on your own and just want a copy of THIS newsletter, you can email me at awesomedietbuddies(at)gmail(dot)com and I will be happy to forward it to you.

Are you eating breakfast?  Are you eating one that will last, like Jillian has suggested?  I used to be a no-breakfast person, but now I know I won't make it through the day without one.  It was a chore at first, trying to eat 5-6 meals per day - but with practice, you can do anything you really set your mind to doing.

0 comments:

Post a Comment